Gallery5 is one of the top venues in the region for unconventional and progressive performance art series and is host to weekly visiting arts groups. These performances consist of local and nationally known artists in areas of improvisation comedy, spoken word, film, live music, contemporary dance and theater.
Gallery5 continues to be a catalyst for new creative initiatives, and serve as a launching pad for emerging artists and area non-profits. We exist to provide our community with a space to share their innovations and to engage others.
By the community
For the community
12 Years of
Gallery5 is an award-winning, community-motivated visual and performing art center that has become a premier arts venue for local and regional audiences. Through extensive collaboration with cultural, educational, environmental and social organizations, Gallery5 continues to broaden demographics by encouraging a more diverse, inclusive, and inspired region of art supporters.
Gallery5 showcases a multitude of unconventional and progressive performance art series and is host to weekly visiting arts groups. These performances consist of local and nationally known artists in areas of improvisation comedy, spoken word, film, live music, contemporary dance and theater. Gallery5 has been a catalyst for many new creative initiatives and has served as a launching pad for countless emerging performance artists. We exist to provide our community with a space to share their innovations and to engage others.
- Music, theater, dance, burlesque, film screenings, comedy shows, and beyond
- We host a diverse array of local to international performers
- We're a catalyst for creative experiences and a launch pad for new talent
- For twelve years now, we've had a broad range of unique events curated weekly
- Sculpture, photography, painting, printmaking, experimental media, and interactive exhibits
- Award winning exhibition space for uniquely curated monthly art shows
- We are located in the official Richmond Arts District and have been a staple of the First Friday art walk
- We showcase traditional and contemporary arts in an all inclusive environment
- We put on workshops, lecture series, game nights, educational programs and more
- This organization is a local incubator for organizations like the Coalition Theater, Art 180, and Silent Film Revival among others.
- We're a dynamic gathering space for the area's non profits, small businesses, and community organizations.
- For over a decade we've housed events like TedX, Girls Rock Camp, Farm to Table markets, Local arts and crafts vendors and many other annual community engagement events.
- Weddings, private parties, fundraisers, company retreats, graduations, and recitals
- We provide an opportunity for you to put on an event in a national historic landmark
- Gallery5 is a flexible space and can cater to all your private event needs.
- We're fully staffed and equipped for any event big or small.
An Iconic Richmond Landmark
-Est 1849 -
Our Historic Building
Gallery5 is located in Richmond, Virginia’s, Historic Jackson Ward district. The gallery opened its doors on April 15, 2005 in an effort to save the life of a National Historic Landmark known as Steamer Company No. 5. Built in 1849, Steamer Company No. 5, is Virginia’s oldest firehouse and Richmond’s oldest police station and jailhouse.This landmark has survived threats of demolition by the City of Richmond for over 3 decades. Without the dedication of volunteers over the past 35 years, an important piece of our city’s history would have been lost.
The downtown arts community has grown exponentially since Gallery5 became an anchor destination, attracting other galleries and businesses to the area. Gallery5 is very proud of its contribution to the revitalization of the historic Jackson Ward neighborhood, and to the many artists and arts organizations that call the area home. Gallery5 is paving the way for positive community change through numerous campaigns, educational workshops, public arts collectives and grassroot collaborations.
Now, more than ever, we need to ensure that our historic facilities is safe, future-proof, and sustainable as we continue to grow alongside the community that supports us. Please consider donating below.
Making An Impact
-“Arts Innovator of the Year” 2008 Theresa Pollock Award for Excellence in the Arts
-”Best Independent Art Gallery” Style Weekly’s 2012 Best of Richmond Awards
-”Best Underground Venue for Music and Arts” Style Weekly’s 2011 Best of Richmond Awards
“Best Gallery in which to see Richmond Artists” Richmond Magazine’s 2011 Best & Worst of Richmond
-“Best Art Gallery” in Richmond Magazine’s 2007 Best & Worst of Richmond Awards.
-“Rising Star” Finalist in the Virginian’s for the Arts: 2010 Art’s Builds Community Awards.
-“Gallery with the Most Attitude” Richmond Magazine’s 2009 Best & Worst of Richmond
-Featured on the front page of the Travel section of The New York Times in their article
36 Hours in Richmond: A Where to go guide for Richmond.
-Style Weekly’s Top 40 under 40 awarded to several of our staff members & collaborators
Gallery5 is highly recognized and supported in our community as a result of the hundreds of collaborations that we have made throughout the years and because of our continued efforts to provide a free space for other non profits and socially diverse causes to promote their missions and fundraise for their organizations
Some of our Non-Profit and Program Collaborations Have Included
Art on Wheels
Books on Wheels
Byrd House Market
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Children’s Museum of Richmond
The Conciliation Project
Defenders for Freedom, Justice and Equality
Doctors without Borders
Down Syndrome Assoc. of Greater Richmond
Farm to Family
FETCH a Cure
Firehouse Theatre Project
Food Not Bombs
Gay Community Center
International Hospital for Children
The Latin Ballet of Virginia
The Partnership for Non Profit Excellence
Richmond Comedy Coalition
Richmond Triangle Players
Save the Trash
The Say Love Project
The Science Museum of Virginia
Screens ‘n Suds
Vacant Spaces Artful Places
Valentine Richmond History Center
The Virginia Art Therapy Association
Virginia Sierra Club
William Byrd Community House
WRIR 97.3 Independent Radio
Locally Owned Richmond
Virginia Sexual & Domestic Violence Action Alliance